The women's Lightning has a female-specific hipbelt, shoulder straps and the aluminium stay is 5 cm shorter.
It is an extremely lightweight roll-top backpack for fast-and-light multi-night adventures, offering outstanding comfort, freedom of movement and load-bearing stability. It has thru-hiking DNA with the carrying capacity of an internal frame pack.
Its top-loading roll closure maximizes weatherproofing and allows expansion of the main compartment to accommodate extra gear when needed.
Zig-zag side compression straps and an over-the-top strap with Rapide Hook secure the load to the frame. Lightning employs a remarkably lightweight suspension system, the backbone of which is a stout, single aluminium stay that is secured to the lumbar pad for direct weight transfer to the users hips.
The padded shoulder yoke, with sternum strap, slides along the stay, allowing a wide range of vertical, micro-adjustment to precisely match the wearer's torso length while reducing contact points to a minimum. Stretch pouches on each side hold water bottles, trekking poles or tent poles and zippered stretch pockets on each hip belt wing hold small items for quick access.
A weather-resistant-zippered pocket at the top of the frame holds and gives access to a hydration reservoir. A mesh inner pocket keeps valuables secure. A strong top haul loop and, a pair of ice axe loops and central daisy chain with attachment cords makes Lightning mountaineering capable. 210 D, PU-coated ripstop nylon balances lightweight, durability and weather resistance.
- Quick-adjust "T-Rex" suspension system features minimal contact points, excellent ventilation and perfect load transfer via a central aluminum stay anchored to the hipbelt
- Extremely light top-loading design features a roll-top closure for easy access and weather protection; minimal seams save weight and add water resistance
- Stretch-fabric pockets on the pack body and hipbelt keep often-used items within easy reach
- Combined full-body side and front compression system stabilizes the load and takes up extra volume
- Hydration-compatible design features external access to an inner pocket that doubles as an exit port for hydration tubes (reservoir sold separately)
- The Exped Lightning 45 Pack sports ice-tool and trekking-pole loops for lashing gear to the outside
Volume: 45 l
Back length: adjustable
Back length range: 36-53cm
Hipbelt range: 77-135cm
Water Resistance: Water repellent treated
Having a comfortable pack can be a make or break for your trip. No matter if you're carrying 18kg on a multi-day expedition, or just an extra layer and lunch on a short hill day. Fitting your pack properly takes a little time. But we promise it'll be time well spent.
In this guide, we'll look at how to measure your back length and how to fit your pack.
How to measure your back length
You'll need a tape measure and a friend to help you out with this.
- Place your hands on your hips and tilt your head forwards.
- Ask your friend to measure from the bony bit at the back of your neck (the C7 vertebrae) to where your hands sit on your hips.
- This measurement will give you an idea of which back length to choose.
Fitting your pack in 6 steps
- Loosen all the straps.
- Add a little weight into the pack. 3-4 kilos will do it.
- Put the backpack on your shoulders and do up the hip belt. This should sit over your hip bone.
- Check that the pack is sitting well over your shoulders. It should follow the contour of your upper back. If the hip belt is sitting above your hip or pulling down your shoulders, you'll need to lengthen the back. If it is below your hips or really loose over your shoulders, then shorten the back length.
- Once you're happy with the back length, whilst wearing the pack, tighten the shoulder harness so it is just tight enough. If you grab the straps and pull down and back, your hands should not usually pass your waist.
- Make sure the sternum (chest) strap is in the right place for you and clip together. This should only be 'finger-tight'.
And you're good to go.
It's also a good idea to go through these steps every so often to make sure your pack still fits you well.
If you have any questions our pack fitting experts are always here to help
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.