Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills is the text beloved by generations of new climbers—the standard for climbing education around the world where it has been translated into 12 languages.
For the all-new 9th Edition, committees comprised of active climbers and climbing educators reviewed every chapter of instruction, and discussed updates with staff from the American Alpine Club (AAC), the American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education (AIARE), and the Access Fund. They also worked with professional members of the American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA), to review their work and ensure that the updated textbook includes the most current best practices for both alpine and rock climbing instruction.
From gear selection to belay and repel techniques, from glacier travel to rope work, to safety, safety, and more safety—there is no more comprehensive and thoroughly vetted training manual for climbing than the standard set by Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills, 9th Edition.
“The definitive guide to mountains and climbing . . .”—Conrad Anker
Significant updates to this edition include:
- New alignment with AAC’s nationwide universal belay standard
- Expanded and more detailed avalanche safety info, including how to better understand avalanches, evaluate hazards, travel safely in avy terrain, and locate and rescue a fellow climber in an avalanche
- Newly revamped chapters on clothing and camping
- All-new illustrations reflecting the latest gear and techniques—created by artist John McMullen, former art director of Climbing magazine
- Review of and contributions to multiple sections by AMGA-certified guides
- Fresh approach to the Ten Essentials—now making the iconic list easier to recall
Paperback / softback
Publisher: Mountaineers Books
Published: Oct 5, 2017
Contact us within 30 days of receiving your goods to request a refund or exchange if products are eligible (see: Return Policy).
All packaging or products must be in their original, re-sellable condition.
Outlet sales are final and can only be returned for exchange. Items found faulty or under warranty will be replaced or refunded.
Some special condition products are labelled as No Refund & Exchange Products. Sale of these items are final and are not eligible for neither refunds nor exchanges.
For safety reasons, K2 cannot accept returns on climbing equipment, socks, underwear and some other products unless faulty.
Please check out our refund policy if you need more information.