Osprey Farpoint 40 was named Best Overall Travel Backpack for 2020 by US News & World Report. Osprey’s Farpoint® 40 is perfect for a weekend getaway in the city or the wilderness. The LightWire frame suspension transfers the load from harness to hipbelt. A mesh backpanel improves ventilation and the mesh on the harness and hipbelt reduces chafing under load. The entire suspension stows away under a zippered panel creating a sleek silhouette for transport.
Unzip the lockable sliders to access the main compartment. Inside there’s a mesh pocket for small items. Dual compression straps keep cargo from shifting during transit.
Outside you’ll find a zippered front panel slash pocket to keep you organized and sewn attachment points to lash on extra gear. No matter how much you choose to carry, StraightJacket compression straps stabilize the load. The padded top and side handles give you purchase when you need to toss the Farpoint® 40 into the back of the bus.
Whether traveling near or far, a comfortable pack means one less headache. We use decades of experience to ensure a comfortable, gender-specific fit for every adventure.
STOWAWAY HARNESS AND HIPBELT
The Farpoint® & Fairview harness stows away for safe keeping and protection from malicious baggage handlers and deploys quickly for any path or trail.
LIGHTWEIGHT AND TOUGH
Durable fabrics in high-wear areas combine with smart design to create a lightweight and tough travel pack that will last a lifetime.
Detachable daypack provides additional storage and organization ideal for daytrips or carry-on. It can be attached to the main pack harness for secure front carry and easy access. *Farpoint®/Fairview 70L and 55L only
- Large panel zip access to main compartment
- Lockable sliders on main compartment zipper
- Dual front compression strap
- Dual front mesh pockets
- Heat-embossed scratch-free zippered slash pocket
- Padded top and side handles
- Stowaway backpanel, harness and hipbelt with zippered rear flap for protection
- Laptop and tablet sleeve secure in lockable compartment
- Two internal compression straps hold contents securely
- Internal front flap zippered mesh pocket
LIGHTWIRE FRAME SUSPENSION
- 3.5mm lightWire peripheral frame effectively transfers the load from harness to hip belt
- Atilon framesheet spreads load across the entire backpanel to the peripheral frame
STOWAWAY REVERSE SPACER MESH BACKPANEL, HARNESS, AND HIPBELT
- Smooth mesh covered atilon foam provides a comfortable, breathable contact surface with a load supporting core
- Adjustable sternum strap with rescue whistle
Having a comfortable pack can be a make or break for your trip. No matter if you're carrying 18kg on a multi-day expedition, or just an extra layer and lunch on a short hill day. Fitting your pack properly takes a little time. But we promise it'll be time well spent.
In this guide, we'll look at how to measure your back length and how to fit your pack.
How to measure your back length
You'll need a tape measure and a friend to help you out with this.
- Place your hands on your hips and tilt your head forwards.
- Ask your friend to measure from the bony bit at the back of your neck (the C7 vertebrae) to where your hands sit on your hips.
- This measurement will give you an idea of which back length to choose.
Fitting your pack in 6 steps
- Loosen all the straps.
- Add a little weight into the pack. 3-4 kilos will do it.
- Put the backpack on your shoulders and do up the hip belt. This should sit over your hip bone.
- Check that the pack is sitting well over your shoulders. It should follow the contour of your upper back. If the hip belt is sitting above your hip or pulling down your shoulders, you'll need to lengthen the back. If it is below your hips or really loose over your shoulders, then shorten the back length.
- Once you're happy with the back length, whilst wearing the pack, tighten the shoulder harness so it is just tight enough. If you grab the straps and pull down and back, your hands should not usually pass your waist.
- Make sure the sternum (chest) strap is in the right place for you and clip together. This should only be 'finger-tight'.
And you're good to go.
It's also a good idea to go through these steps every so often to make sure your pack still fits you well.
If you have any questions our pack fitting experts are always here to help
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.